On 7 October this year, from 9:00 until 16:00, there will be a workshop to discuss the establishment of a Citizen Science Society of South Africa. The event venue is the Water Research Commission’s (WRC) headquarters in Pretoria.
The dialogue’s objectives will be to:
- Establish the extent of citizen science’s existence in South Africa
- Ascertain the various activities conducted under the concept of citizen science
- Discuss consolidation of activities, including data collection, archiving and reporting
- Explore the need and feasibility of establishing a Citizen Science Society of Southern Africa
- Explore the interaction between policy and citizen scientists’ efforts
Supporting institutions for the event include WESSA, GroundTruth, the WRC, the Department of Science and Technology and the Department of Water and Sanitation.
Those interested in attending need to RSVP before 15 September to firstname.lastname@example.org