The Gauteng Provincial Government says it was already in the process of procuring suitable accommodation to relocate officials from the Bank of Lisbon building in the Johannesburg CBD.

This comes after a fire ripped through the building, which housed the Gauteng Department of Health, killing three firefighters in the process.

Speaking during a media briefing Gauteng MEC for Infrastructure Development, Jacob Mamabolo said it was unfortunate and tragic that the fire accident occurred at the building as the procurement process to find alternative accommodation for departments was commencing and already begun as early as March this year.

“After the procurement process it usually takes about three months to move officials to an alternative building but we are aiming to fast-track the process and we will soon announce on the relocation developments,” said MEC Mamabolo.

Non-compliance and issue

The fire, which was allegedly caused by an electrical fault, broke out on the 23rd floor of the Bank of Lisbon building two weeks ago and highlighted the poor state of many of government’s buildings.

Mamabolo told the media that the building did not comply with occupational health and safety, was not compliant with the basic regulations.

He added that the department was also in the process of looking for suitable accommodation for officials that are housed at seven other buildings that were found not to be non-compliant.