Eskom has reached a three-year wage agreement with its recognised trade unions, ending the impasse.The country was plunged into darkness earlier this year when workers went on strike after Eskom opened wage talks with a 0% wage hike. The wage negotiations lasted three months and saw several deadlocks.
The wage agreement, signed with the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) and Solidarity, offers workers the following:
- A 7.5% salary increase in 2018/19
- A 7% salary increase in 2019/20
- A 7% salary increase in 2020/21
- an annual cost of living (CPI) adjustment to their housing allowance
- a once-off cash payment of R10 000 after tax to be paid within 48 hours of the agreement being signed
- The conditions of service will remain unchanged for the period 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2021.